In the Beginning: Everything Starts with the Word with William Nixon
In the Beginning: Everything Starts with the Word
In a bet with a friend, it is said that Ernest Hemingway boasted he could write an entire novel with emotional impact in only six words. His incredulous companion took the bet, and on the back of a napkin, the Nobel Prize winning author wrote: “For sale: baby shoes. Never worn.”
Nothing is more powerful than the right word in the right place at the right time.
The fourth and final seminar of the Salt Lake Chamber’s series on Mastering Media Management will focus on powerful writing—using words that work to inform, persuade and entertain. Whether you are writing a business plan, tweet, product description, media release, annual report, op-ed, inner-office memo, or international advertising campaign, the essence of memorable communication is story, and it all begins with a single word.
“In the Beginning: Everything Starts with the Word,” is an interactive workshop that will show you how to:
- Determine the essence of your message—to inform, persuade or entertain
- Write to a specific audience
- Use clear and colorful language appropriate to your purpose
- Craft compelling press releases, op-eds and other promotional messages
- Build on your innate talents to become a powerful writer
- Find liberation and art in journaling